Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Milestone for "The Shape of Knowledge"

Today I sent my book, The Shape of Knowledge, off to an editor for its first review by a set of eyes other than my own.

It was actually a little traumatic; it's like sending your baby off to a stranger. I sent it to a professional editing service that specializes in nonfiction. They have good reviews if you can believe their website, but how can you really know? It is nerve-wracking.

It will take 4-5 days to get it back from the editor. In the meantime, we need to get the new version of the website ready for launch. It should go live the same day I self publish the book on the Kindle. I also intend to use Smashwords to reach the other ebook platforms.

I originally thought I would use content from the book as blog posts, but I have since decided against that. The book is 37,000 words and 70 (simple) illustrations. To do it justice, piecemeal in blog posts, would be very difficult.

Instead, I will use the blog to apply the techniques and principles I lay out in The Shape of Knowledge. The content of the book is very conceptual. The reason there are so many illustrations in the book is because I felt it needed copious amounts of real world examples to make it relevant. This blog should continue to go down that path, providing even more examples.